Wednesday, March 4, 2009

SUNDAY ADVENTURE

We had quite an interesting Sunday night this week. We had gone over to my parents house for dinner and were just coming home. It was around 7:30 and dark outside. As we got home there was a man standing at the bottom of our driveway looking very out of it. Dan pulled the car into the garage, got Dreyken out and set her up by the door. He began to walk out toward the man as he had started to head toward our garage. He asked the man if he could help him, the man was completely confused. I got the kids out of the car and into the house and than came back out to see what the man was doing. I was a little nervous to have Dan out there alone, not knowing who the man was. I took my cell phone out to Dan as he was still trying to figure out the man's name or maybe where he lived. The man was completely covered in blood and mud. I headed back inside and called a neighbor of ours and asked if the husband would mind coming over and helping Dan as I was still not sure I wanted him out there alone. I couldn't tell if the man was a threat or not. He gladly came over and waited with Dan in our garage until the police showed up. Dan had called 911 and the dispatcher asked him to ask the man if his name was _______( I don't remember the exact name) the man responded with a yes and she had asked Dan if he could keep him around until the police showed up. It turned out that the man had wandered away from an assisted living center and they had been out looking for him. The man was disoriented and had fallen several times and had some major cuts and scrapes, which was where the blood was from. He had also walked through some fields to get to our neighborhood and was wet and very muddy . He was sure that our house was his house and had we been a few minutes later we would have found him in our house instead of our driveway. I was really glad to have Dan with me, as I often come home alone, other than on Sundays. It was also really nice to know that when the need is there we have great neighbors who are willing to help out at a moment's notice. I am really glad it all turned out all right, the man was returned to his caretaker and was being taken to the hospital, and my kids found the adventure rather exciting. I am glad to know that I have a husband who is very good at helping out those in need, without much concern for himself, but a lot of concern for his family.

5 comments:

Brett - Rachel B said...

Wow! What a story!

Traci said...

Scary! But probably very scary for the guy too! We're glad it worked out though :)

Dallas and Kristi said...

That is scary!! Sad for the guy though. I'm glad everyone is okay!

Amy said...

I'm glad that things worked out for the best! I do love neighbors and I'm sorry that I've been such a terrible one! I promise, I'm going to come see that little one!

Shea said...

Wow..that would have scared me to no end. I'm so glad everything worked out!